Barrafina’s Fish of the Day
Perfectly-poached fish with a rich fish stock, from Angel Zapata Martin, executive chef of Barrafina. Using good quality simple ingredients will make all the different to this dish. It’s a fresh, simple, hearty recipe: showing that it’s easy to create restaurant-quality food at home. Any fish can be used for this recipe, Angel recommends Gurnard, John Dory or Skate Wing. For recipes like this and much more follow Barrafina on Instagram.
FOR THE PIMENTO OIL
- Put the oil and garlic in a pot and cook over a low temperature until the garlic is soft. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly (until the oil is 65-70 °C)
- Add the paprika powder. Cover and allow to infuse for two hours.
- Once infused, pass through a fine sieve. Store in an airtight container.
TIP The oil can be store for up to two months.
FOR THE FUMET (Fish stock)
- Put the water, vegetables and the fish bones in a high-sided pot and bring to the boil. When the water is boiling reduce the heat and simmer gently for 25-30 minutes.
- Using a shallow spoon, remove any scum that appears on the surface and discard.
- Remove from the heat. Cover with a lid and leave to infuse for 30 minutes.
- Strain through a fine sieve, reserving the stock.
FOR THE POTATOES AND FISH
- While the stock is infusing, boil your potatoes. Add to boiling, salted water and cook until tender.
- Hard boil the eggs by placing in boiling water and simmering for 11 minutes. Remove, run under cold water, peel and cut in half.
- Add potatoes, 4 tsps of pimento oil and 200ml of fumet to a pot. Heat until gently simmering.
- Add your chosen fish and cook for 2-3minutes.
To serve, add the potatoes, stock and eggs to a bowl. Top with the poached fish.
Each of Barrafina’s restaurants has an open kitchen, a beautiful marble-topped bar where guests can sit and watch the chefs at work and stylish red leather stools. The a la carte menus comprise authentic regional dishes from around Spain and there is also a daily changing specials menu unique to each restaurant. The succinct wine list features the finest Spanish sherries, Cavas and wines and Estrella Galicia is the only draft beer chosen to compliment the list.
- Preparation time:
- 60 min
- Cooking time:
- 20 min.
FOR THE PIMENTON OIL
- 200ml olive oil
- 10 cloves of garlic, crushed but unpeeled
- 4 tsps of sweet paprika powder
- 10 bay leaves
FOR THE FUMET (FISH STOCK)
- 2 litres of water
- 500g fish bones (most fishmongers will provide these for you. Alternatively, you can use fish stock cubes)
- 2 leeks
- 2 fennel bulbs
- 2 bay leaves
FOR THE POTATOES
- 4 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 eggs
FOR THE FISH
4 fish of the day fillets (Angel recommends Gurnard, John Dory, Skate Wing)
A traditional flavour of marked bitterness and refreshing aftertaste.
Available from: Waitrose, Majestic, Co-op and Greene King online.