Chicken Thighs with Romesco
If you’ve been lucky enough to dine at Barrafina, this is one of their iconic dishes, a must try! Now with this recipe from Angel, specially adapted to re-create this delicious recipe at home. Succulent juicy chicken thighs with a crispy skin, accompanied by a romesco sauce bursting with flavour, finished off with a picada, this is a fresh and vibrant Spanish topping used to finish and add texture to dishes like this.
For step-by-step instructions to create this recipe at home, watch Angel Zapata-Martin Executive chef at Barrafina teach Formula 1 driver, Lando Norris exactly how it is done.
FOR THE CHICKEN:
1. In a large, heavy based pan, fry the chicken, skin side down, slowly over a medium/high heat.
2. When the skin is roasted (crisp and golden) flip, and finish cooking the under side.
3. Finish in the oven to keep warm if needs be, but ideally in the pan to keep the skin crispy.
FOR THE REMOSCO:
4. Roast the tomatoes at 200C until they are caramelised (not wet).
5. In a separate tray roast the shallot, pepper and garlic bulbs until very tender.
6. When the tomatoes are done (before the peppers etc) take them out the oven and drizzle over the olive oil, salt and pepper.
7. Once the other vegetables are done, peel tomatoes, garlic, shallot and pepper. Add everything to a hand mixer or blender, leaving only the nuts. When the pepper and tomato mix is blitzed, roughly chop the nuts and add them too. Blitz quickly once more to combine but careful not to overmix.
FOR THE PICADA:
8. Mix all of the above and set aside until ready to plate.
9. Portion out your romesco sauce on your plate, top with two of the chicken thighs (crispy skin side up) and spoon over the picada.
Each of Barrafina’s restaurants has an open kitchen, a beautiful marble-topped bar where guests can sit and watch the chefs at work and stylish red leather stools. The a la carte menus comprise authentic regional dishes from around Spain and there is also a daily changing specials menu unique to each restaurant. The succinct wine list features the finest Spanish sherries, Cavas and wines and Estrella Galicia is the only draft beer chosen to compliment the list.
- Preparation time:
- 20 min
- Cooking time:
- 40 min.
8 corn fed chicken thighs
FOR THE ROMESCO:
- 5 tomatoes (halved)
- ½ shallot
- ¼ red pepper
- 65g hazelnuts (toasted)
- 65g almonds (toasted)
- 1 tbsp ñora paste (or pimiento chiricero)
- 2 garlic bulbs
- 100ml extra virgin olive oil
- Sherry vinegar
- Salt and pepper
FOR THE PICADA:
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp almonds (toasted and finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp hazelnut (toasted and finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 3 tbsp sherry vinegar (or moscatel vinegar)
Estrella Galicia Larger
A traditional flavour of marked bitterness and refreshing after taste.
Available from: Waitrose, Majestic, Co-op and Greene King online.