Estrella Galicia Mussels with chilli jam
Ant Power, owner of Pilgrim Restaurant Liverpool, changes up a classic mussel dish with a sweet & spicy home-made chilly jam and Estrella Galicia beer sauce. Delicious for any occasion in the garden on a lovely Spring day or on the sofa for a cosy night in, perfectly paired with an Estrella Galicia beer.
FOR THE CHILLY JAM:
- In a sauce pan, sauté the red peppers & onions until quite dark in colour.
- Add the garlic & chillies and sauté for another 10 minutes.
- Next add the cherry tomatoes and paprika, sauté for a further 5 minutes, before adding the brown sugar and the fish sauce. Cook out for 5-10 minutes.
- With a stick blender or food processor, blitz with the mixture until desired consistency.
- Decant the jam into an air-tight contain and store in the fridge to chill.
FOR THE MUSSELS:
- Clean and rinse the mussels, discarding any broken shells and dirt.
- Heat a large saucepan until very hot. Add a little olive oil and the mussels. Cover with a lid and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the mussels have opened.
- Next add 2 large tablespoons (or more if you like a bit more kick) of the chilli jam and stir through the mussels.
- Then stir in a bottle of Estrella Galicia larger, season with a little salt and cover with the lid and cook for about 3-5 minutes or until all the mussels are opened. Mix through the oregano.
Divide between bowls discarding any that haven’t opened and pour the sauce over the top of the mussels. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and get stuck in.
As you travel through Spain, you see a country with so much more to offer than the tapas we see in the UK. As Pilgrims seek fuel along their journey, the distinct regions in Spain along the Camino all take their turn overwhelming travelers with vibrant and diverse flavours, textures and produce. Each village takes pride in feeding and inspiring Pilgrims onwards.
- Preparation time:
- 15 min
- Cooking time:
- 20 min.
- 500g fresh mussels
- Handful of fresh oregano leaves
- Bottle of Estrella Galicia larger
- Extra virgin olive oil, to serve
- Sea salt flakes
- For the chilli jam
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 red peppers, diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 6 red chillies, de-seeded, chopped
- 2 cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbps brown sugar
- 1 tsp. Spanish smoked paprika
- 40ml fish sauce
A traditional flavour of marked bitterness and refreshing aftertaste.
Available from: Waitrose, Majestic, Co-op and Greene King online.