Root vegetable & wild mushroom pisto, crispy cacklebean egg, truffled manchego
Pisto Manchego is a classic bar tapa similar to a French ratatouille. This is Asador 44’s winter version, using root vegetables instead of the normal summery Mediterranean vegetables you might associate with a traditional Spanish pisto. Topped with a deep fried rich Cacklebean egg and generous grating of truffle manchego, it’s a treat any day of the week.
FOR THE PISTO
- Pour the boiling water over the dried mushrooms, stir and cover. Leave for 30 minutes.
- After the 30 minutes strain the mushrooms, keeping all the mushroom liquor. Finely dice the rehydrated mushrooms, then sautée in olive oil and seasoning for 1-2 minutes. Set aside.
- In the same pan sautée the leek and garlic together with olive oil and salt until soft and sweet ans set aside.
Then sautée the squash separately with olive oil and some salt, until the squash has softened. Set aside.
- Finally, sautée the celeriac, carrots & thyme together with some olive oil and salt. Continue until softened but still with a little bite.
- Put all the vegetables together in to one pot, on medium heat. Add the ñora paste and amontillado sherry. Evaporate and reduce.
- Now add the miso paste and the mushroom liquor. Stir in and check for flavour and seasoning.
FOR THE CRISPY EGG
- To poach the egg, heat a pan of water and bring to the boil. Crack 3 eggs at a time into the water, being careful to keep the separate. Simmer for 1 minute, then refresh in iced water to halt the cooking. Repeat with the other 3 eggs.
- Lay out 3 dishes or containers, one each for flour, whisked egg (your remaining extra eggs) and panko breadcrumbs. Season your flour.
- Take your poached chilled eggs from the water and blot dry, Coat in the seasoned flour, then the egg, then the breadcrumbs.
- To fry, heat a saucepan 1/3rd full of light olive oil, and bring to a temperature of 180 degrees. Lower the breaded eggs in with a slotted spoon and fry for 1 minute or until golden brown and crispy.
TO FINISH & SERVE
Serve on top of the pisto, with generous amounts of truffled manchego served on top.
Preparation Time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
FOR THE PISTO:
50g dried wild mushrooms
500ml boiling water
1 butternut squash, finely diced
1 leek, finely diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 celeriac, finely diced
4 medium carrots, brunoise
2 tablespoons thyme leaves
25g ñora pepper paste
100ml amontillado sherry (optional)
FOR THE CRISPY EGG:
6 Cacklebean Arlington eggs (or a rich free-range alternative)
2 extra free-range eggs
Light olive oil
1906 Reserva Especial
An elegant and perfectly balanced lager.
Available from: Whole Foods