Stuffed Courgette Flowers
A favourite amongst our guests, this dish is a Barrafina staple and one that you will find on the menu across all three Barrafina restaurants. Stuffed with goat’s cheese and fried in an extra light batter, these delicate flowers make a perfect starter or simple tapa. Use Spanish goat’s cheese if possible, Monte Enebro is a good choice.
- Start by checking that the courgette flowers are clean.
- Mix the goat’s cheese with the thyme and pepper to taste.
- Carefully stuff the flowers with this mixture, wrapping the petals around the stuffing to keep it in place.
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and gradually whisk in the water to make a light batter.
- Heat the oil in a suitable pan to 180°C.
- A few at a time, dip the stuffed flowers into the batter to coat and then immerse in the hot oil.
- Deep-fry for 3 minutes until crisp and golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Sprinkle with Maldon salt then lightly drizzle the orange blossom honey on top and serve at once.
Serves 5 as a starter or 10 as a tapa
10 courgette flowers
300g goat’s cheese (preferably Spanish)
2 tsp thyme leaves
Freshly ground pepper and Maldon salt
170g plain flour
Vegetable oil for deep frying
100ml orange blossom honey
A traditional flavour of marked bitterness and refreshing aftertaste.
Available from: Waitrose, Majestic, Co-op and Greene King online.